Rabu, 31 Januari 2007

Top Design - Judging the designs - Episode 1


Felicia Bushman and Matt Lorenz - niche and bench were great ideas. Color palette and mood didn't reflect the inspiration items. Also, there was nothing to draw the eye upward, everything seemed to be at eye level or below. Loved the artwork on right wall. The fabric panel on left wall seemed pointless and was still draping poorly. (side note - selvege is the bound sides of a piece of fabric as it comes off the bolt. Seam allowances are pieces on the wrong side of the fabric when two fabrics are sewn together. Selvege can be in the seam allowances, but seam allowances aren't selvege. Felicia mis-understood Todd's question and they didn't fix the problem). The single floor lamp is too large for the other items in the room.



Heather Ashton and Lisa Turner - Eliminated in this episode. Voice over by Lisa: "We didn't want to go too far out on a limb". This was the kiss of death. There was nothing that related to the inspiration objects in this room. The first big thing that popped out at me was the lines painted on the wall had no relation to the massive Chinese daybed. In a room that was supposed to be about meditation - there was no harmony. Too many small, uninteresting objects. Too symmetrical. If you draw a line down the center, both sides are nearly identical. The bed is beautiful on it's own - but the cushion fabrics were too pale and limp by comparison. This seems to sum up the design and designers. They didn't want to go out on a limb, they didn't spend the entire budget, they didn't change the cushion fabric... I originally pegged Lisa as a potential front runner. See what we know going into this!



Erik Kolacz and Carisa Perez-Fuentes - on first look, I really liked this room. I love the boldly striped wall and the red "fireplace". I felt like the room was filled very well. Again, I don't see the inspiration items sitting in the space, but on it's own merit's, I liked it. I agree with the judges - too many pillows and the small round cocktail table was too small, to tall and too empty. Carisa is young and her defense of the pillows (to fill the space) shows her relative lack of experience. Style is about the ability to edit a look. As they say - before you go out - take one thing off.




Michael Adams and John Gray - first off - oy vay on the relationship. So, it's amazing that they came to any concensus and pulled off the room they did. That said - I thought it had some very sophisticated items, but they weren't pulled together well. The balance is off. The white sofa on the left is dwarfed by the large painting behind it and by the height of the rounded banquette. It also didn't look too soft or comfortable when Kelly sat down in it. She sort of "plunked" and she doesn't seem like much of a plunker. The room feels lopsided and the diagonal floor doesn't draw the eye properly. To me, the floor creates a feeling of movement which is too "active" for a space that's supposed to be restful. I do love the dark wall. They came in second to last with this effort.




Ryan Humphrey and Andrea Keller - I really disliked the color of this space. Sometimes it's hard to know where personal preference plays into things, but, nope, didn't like the color. Didn't like the bed, but did like the pillows and throw on the bed. Loved the mirrored side table and wall piece. I think the random dark stripes on the walls worked and added movement. I also liked the painted floor. I don't love random angled rugs - but on television this worked better than if it were straight. The blue lamp on the left seems out of place and needs context. On a personal note - I was prepared for Ryan to be more belligerent and pushy than he was and really he seemed quite pleasant, but he keeps showing up in commercials seeming a little obnoxious...




Goil Amornvivat and Elizabeth Moore - The Winners of Episode 1. Hint: when your client sits down, swings her feet and has a silly grin on her face - you know you've scored. While the room wasn't remotely practical, it fit the program of a calm space that felt right with the silly inspiration items. The colors were a balanced mix, the wall treatment was soft and soothing. The items in the room didn't necessarily "go together" but they worked together. The balance is quite nice and the eye is drawn upward and around the room.

I think we can assume that the judges will reward true innovation - even if it's not practical.

In my next post, I am going to judge the show itself. Lot's to say... not much of it nice at this point. Stay tuned!

Click here for all Top Design posts.

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar

 
Privacy | Contact | Profile
© 2011, Omagz. Design by emfaruq